Artisans, crafters and food vendors will pack Melgaard Park Saturday and Sunday for Arts in the Park.
Like many other planned events in 2020, the annual event took a one-year hiatus due to concerns about COVID-19. But it’s back this year with a full roster of booths, food vendors and activities.
Sponsored by the Aberdeen Area Arts Council, booths are open Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Stacy Braun, executive director for the arts council, said 92 craft booths and another 19 food and beverage vendors will be set up throughout the park with a good mix of businesses from Aberdeen, the immediate region and surrounding states.
“Very surprisingly there are 45 that are brand new and five that have been here before (and are returning after a four- or five-year absence)” she said.
Some of the vendors weren’t even on the Arts Council mailing list, she said.
Of the vendors, 46 are from South Dakota with 20 from Aberdeen or within a 50-mile radius. Of those, 14 are from Aberdeen. In all, exhibitorsr are coming from 12 states, she said.
Of those states, the largest contingencies are coming from Minnesota (14) and North Dakota (10), with other vendors from Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
“We will be supporting people from the immediate area, region and surrounding states,” Braun said. “The fact that pretty close to half of them are from South Dakota and right here in this area is nice, too.”
Those looking for a treat will have a selection of fair favorites to pick from, including new booths featuring gelato and cold-brew coffees. The food vendors are coming from South Dakota, Minnesota, Florida, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Oklahoma and Iowa.
Inflatables will be set up at the park for kids, and barrel train rides will be offered, Braun said. Hub City Axe Throwing will also have a trailer set up for people to try their hand at hitting the target.
Performances are also planned this weekend:
- Aberdeen Jazz, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Katie Dwyer from Pierre, 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Murphys Slaw from Aberdeen, 11 a.m. to noon Sunday.
- Union Cattle Band from Britton, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
- The Musical String Man Paul Imholte from St. Cloud, Minn., will also be strolling through the park entertaining both days.
Avera offering vaccines
Listed among the food vendor booths is Avera’s community pop-up COVID-19 vaccination unit. According to a news release from Avera St. Luke’s, Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines will be available during Arts in the Park with the first 30 people vaccinated each day receiving a $10 gift card from Ken’s SuperFair Foods. They will also be eligible for additional door prices.
Vaccines remain free and insurance is not needed, but those who receive shots are asked to provide insurance information. They will also be asked to fill out a form. Anybody getting the vaccine must also sit for a 15-minute observation period.
The vaccine is available for anyone 18 and older. Anyone 12-17 who wishes to receive a Pfizer vaccine at Arts in the Park should make an appointment. Appointments can also be made to ensure a Johnson & Johnson dose is available by calling 605-622-5273 or by going online to vaccinefinder.gov.
Anyone showing proof that they’ve received a COVID-19 vaccine can also register for door prizes.
- Hettinger’s Creekside Creations – Ross & Tara Hettinger: Nostalgic home, lodge, cabin and man cave furnishings.
- MNH Concepts – Michael Hubert: Engine part lamps and clocks perfect for man cave.
- Mike Brumbaugh, Al Riggenberg & Larry Jurgens: Local and exotic wood crafted to make usable items.
- DFR MFG – Dana & Jessica Ringgenberg: Fun and useful cnc lasered and epoxy projects.
- Creative Expressions – 10 artists from Aberdeen Aspire, Inc: Beautiful unique paintings fiber arts and jewelry from multiple artists.
- ReimerReason – Erynn Reimer: Hand-painted, dishwasher safe glassware, mugs, wine glasses and more.
- Janet Phillips: Handmade doll accessories, activity bags, chalkboards and yo-yo balloons.
- Northern Lights Design Studio – Thom C. Berg: Professional stained glass creation and repair.
- Heritage Arts by Lynn – Lynn Gauer: art of cultural and historical significance including rosemaling, hardanger and quilts.
- Shabby Chic Garden Décor – Elizabeth Korzan: Garden décor flowers, cup and saucer bird feeders, mushrooms and angels made from upcycled glass dishes.
- Green Aberdeen: reusable bags featuring a Nick & Nicole Fischer mural.
- Schulz’s Artistic Adventures – Megan, Jeffrey and Kathryn Schulz: Wildlife and scenic photography printed and framed.
- Art, Antiques and Tackle – Madison Aguirre and Donald Hahler: watercolor and acrylic paintings, upcycled items, antiques and fishing tackle.
- Amanda Huml LLC – Amanda Huml: Handmade wood burned fine art inspired by nature.
From South Dakota:
- Jason Pfitzer Photography, Sioux Falls: photography that invokes a simple memory.
- Char’s Kitchen – Charlene Barrie, Turton: Homemade jams, jellies, syrups, pickles and salsa from hand picked fruits and vegetables.
- Dakota Crafts – Joyce Chord, Oelrichs: steel yard and garden art.
- Chivilla Bay – Rhonda & Bruce May, Groton: Handcrafted Home and Garden décor and gifts.
- JB’s Country Store – Jordan Breeding, Chelsea: Vintage upcycled, handcrafted décor and distressed furniture.
- Hills Metal – Brad Hills, Crooks: Handcrafted metal sculptures of animals, birds, flowers & reptiles.
- 316 Legacy LLC – Jennifer May, Parker: Vintage salvage element by repurposing vintage windows.
- From The Farm Wood Creations LLC – Philip Wirth, Viborg: Rustic, Urban, Farmhouse handcrafted home decor, furniture and lighting.
- Kiddin’ Around – Pam Ratigan, Florence: Quality handmade clothes and accessories girls and 18” dolls.
- Art with Anndell – Anndell Wubben, Sioux Falls: Henna body art, temporary tattoos by Art with Anndell.
- Love Repurposed – Nicole Olson and Meredith Schumacher, Ipswich: Upcycled junk, furniture and hand painted signs and décor.
- Superior Quality Cornhole – Heather Cool, Sioux Falls: Yard games, artwork, home décor and accessories.
- Forever Memories – Theresa and Chad Durfee, Dell Rapids: one of a kind gifts for anyone on your list.
- Cocoa Moon – Kellie Bisbee, Cresbard: Primitive hand sewn dolls – Uncle Sam, snowmen, santas, bunnies.
- Turn and Burn Custom Cuts – Ken McQuistion, Piedmont: Metal signs and wall décor.
- All Natural Shea Butter – Aaron & Rebecca Bruce, Tulare: Shea butter whipped with essential oils moisturizer for sensitive skin.
- Dakota Handmade & Homegrown – Tammy Neidinger, Plankinton: Ceramic hand painted planters all shapes, sizes and custom made.
- Lyndie Lou – Christy Anderson, Brandon: Trendy spandex headbands.
- Wild Goat Design – Terra Cypher, Parker: Hand painted and hand letteref globes, wood and canvas signs.
- Midwest Custom Gifts – Jason Reub, Rapid City: wooden wine and whiskey boxes and creative cutting boards.
- Rebekah Scott Designs – Rebekah Scott, Valley Springs: Handmade purses and accessories with design your own option.
- Mark Levsen Woodcarving – Mark Levsen, Webster: Woodcarvings: hand carved wildlife, farms, landscapes, horses, crosses and nativities.
- Big L Antler Products – Terry & Marcia LaBounty, Yankton: beautiful everyday items made with real shed deer and elk antlers.
- Kccreations – Karen & Allen Carlson, Lennox: handmade accessories and wood signs.
- Daron Krueger Photography – Daron Krueger, Sioux Falls: Fine art photography of the Midwest.
- Rock Me Mama – Angie Lunden, Astoria: Children’s clothing and accessories.
- re’New Rugs and More – Julie Symens, Sisseton: Loom woven rugs of all sizes and colors.
- Custom Wood Artistry – Troy Foster, Peever: Beautiful custom woodwork made in the USA.
- Rita Trygstad’s Photography – Rita Trygstad, Redfield: photography, painted caps, woodburning, wire sculpture, wreaths, pebble art and rock drawing.
- Rhonda Lynn Studio – Rhonda Sebert, Brandon: original acrylic paintings and handcrafted jewelry.
- Hanne’s Rings and Things – Hanne-Marit Estwick, Sisseton: personalized jewelry made for you today, super warm and soft sweater mittens.
- Russ Duerksen Art – Russ Duerksen, Sioux Falls: Award winning wildlife and nature acrylic paintings and giclee reproductions.
- COIN ART – Jim & Carol Luca, Apache Junction, AZ: Cutout coin pendants, earrings and money clips.
- Maryanne’s Jewelry – Maryanne Christie, Page, AZ: Navajo handmade pewter ponytail covers from Arizona.
- Splendid Nature – Sean Ung, Avondale, AZ: Handmade copper cattail chimes.
- Hometime – Steve Smith, Wapello, Iowa: Outdoor metal art.
- The Zipper Pouch People – Cindy & Kris Knospe, Geneva, Iowa: Handmade zipper pouches, lip balm cozies and accessories.
- In-Weave – Julie and Don Ulmer, Hawarden, Iowa: Hand-woven rugs, table runners and mats.
- BluMoon Designs – Amy Balster, Alvord, Iowa: Unique handcrafted jewelry designed for casual, everyday wear.
- Brushful of Joy – Leah Wright, Orange City, Iowa: Hand-painted watercolor prints, greetings cards and digitally crafted stickers.
- Meyerdirk Art – Greg & Patrice Meyerdirk, Harris, Iowa: Refreshing clean-line contemporary metal sculptures and wall art.
- Bullseye Bow – Neil & Lisa Kahrs, Dexter, KS: Toy bow and arrow set.
- Designs by Robbi – Roberta Clemen, Apple Valley, MN: Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones and semi precious stones, rosaries and wood products.
- Maris Ent. LLC – Dennis B. Schroeder, Ivanhoe, MN: Items for functional use at home or around the farm.
- A Taste 4 Crafts, Inc – Gloria & Paul Lindsay, Brooten, MN: Hand printed laid back apparel, wooden holiday decor.
- Midwest Game Crave – Benjamin Rohlik, Sanborn, MN: Board and yard games.
- NLJ Books/Neil Johnson Photography – Neil Johnson, Hibbing, MN: Regional landscape and wildlife photography and gift books.
- Stanley’s Sugarbush – Terry Stanley, Miltona, MN: Pure maple sugar and value-added products.
- Longshadow Woodworks – Aryn & Courtney Kern, Little Falls, MN: Kitchen and home accessories using reclaimed hardwoods.
- Martin Trading Co. – Bruce Martin, Golden Valley, MN: Oak name frames.
- Alison Palmer, Lakeville, MN: Sparkling accessories for her; unique gifts for baby.
- SAC Calico Country – Sylvia Christenson, Fergus Falls, MN: Woven rugs and calico creations.
- S & J Magestic Soaps – Steven & Joanne Dallmann, Henderson, MN: Natural homemade soap.
- Silverfish ‘N’ Things – Robert & Lana Hendricks, Forest Lake, MN: Items made from antique silver flatware and hollowware.
- Christy’s Crafts – Christy & Lynn Sjoblom, Karlstad, MN: Hand painted screen, glass, wood and metal designs.
- Faxon Farm’s Pure Maple Syrup – Tommy Traxler, Belle Plaine, MN: 100% pure maple syrup and products.
- 517 Design Studio – Mary Campbell, Pleasant Hill, MO: Artist designed polymer clay jewelry.
- von Glan Pottery – Leroy von Glan, Norfolk, NE: Stoneware and raku pottery.
- Gemz & Jewelz – Wendy O’Brien, Lincoln, NE: Hand stamped and hand soldered jewelry.
From North Dakota
- LoneTree Designs – Corrine Aasmundstad, Devils Lake, N.D.: Metal items.
- Adrian Reichenberg, Bismarck, N.D.: Repurposed home and garden décor, soaps for men.
- Perfectly Nuts – Trevor Haugen, West Fargo, N.D.: Cinnamon roasted almonds, pecans, cashews, and seeds.
- Simply Divine – Penny Dockter, Jamestown, N.D.: Wine ice cream mix, slush mix and spice dips.
- Copper Kettle Korn – Ramona Dockter, Mandan, ND: Kettle corn and bottled water.
- Easy Times – Dan & LaVonne Enfield, Sharon, N.D.: Windsocks, garden banners and metal sports signs.
- Chris Neys Creations – Christine Neys, Pingree, N.D.: Ceramic yard decorations and ceramic Christmas trees.
- Bedangled – Denise Fournier, West Fargo, N.D.: Hand-fabricated artisan jewelry.
- Designs by Krista Marie – Krista Ulrich, Fargo, N.D.: jewelry and natural bath and body products.
- Marney’s Sonshine and Sweet Pea LLC – Marney Shirley, Jamestown, N.D.: Whimsical floral arrangements using buttons, paper and recycled containers.
- Wise Guyz Gadgets – Terry Markwardty, Austin, Texas: Handmade gadgets for outdoor living: BBQ Grill tool, poultry lifter, gardening tool.
- Blue Egg Farmstore – Robin Spector, Viola, WI: Handcrafted, organic body care items.
- Ultimo Cosmetics – Jen Klipping, Iron River, WI: All natural handmade cosmetics.
- Darrel Bowman Pottery – Darrel Bowman, Bangor, WI: Stoneware pottery, wheel-thrown and reduction-fired in a gas kiln.
- Gardner’s Wisconsin cheese & Sausage – Tye Gardner, Marshfield, WI: Handcrafted artisan cheese sausage.
- Wyoming Silvers – Dennis and Jill Hendrix, Upton, WY: Art glass & metal jewelry art forms, rope baskets and name rings.
Food vendor area
- TNT Indian Style Tacos, Worthington, MN: Indian tacos, taco salad, nachos, elephant ears, pop, water.
- Daniel’s European Cuisine, Melbourne, FL: Gyros, Philly cheese steak, seafood paella, Cajun cheeseburger, Turkey legs, Kabobs, garlic parmesan fries, blooming onion, ice cold drinks.
- Specific Foods, Mazeppa, MN: Corn dogs, cheese curds, Texas taters, lemonade, pop, water.
- Cranston Family Concessions, Somerset, WI: Shaved ice.
- Cubby’s LLC, Sioux Falls: Tacos, nachos, elote, walking tacos (steak, chicken or birria).
- Front Porch Concessions, Marion: Taco in a tub, Indian taco, idaho nachos, Mexican nachos, deep fried mac/cheese, spudsters, cheese curds, corn dog, French fries, nachos, 10 flavors fruit smoothies, pop, water.
- Pester Mini Donuts, White: Mini donuts, cinnamon, & sugar, hot fudge & maple glaze, water.
- Avera Community Pop-Up COVID Vaccination Unit
- Tobin’s Lemonade, Aberdeen: Fresh-squeezed lemonade.
- Stapleton’s Tornado Funnel Cakes, Wentworth: Funnel cakes, cheese curds, flavored lemonade, water.
- Kristi’s Concessions, Wolsey: Walking tacos, nachos, super and deluxe nachos, hot dogs, BBQ, pretzels, candy bars, chips, taffy, pickles, freeze pops, pop, water.
- Rock N Roll Tacos, Williston, N.D.: Steak or chicken tacos or nachos, fries, mango on a stick, corn on the cob, aguas frescas (orchata and watermelon), drinks.
- Fallout Community & YAPA, Aberdeen: Hot and iced coffee.
- Mediterranean Corner Grill & Seafood, Clearwater, FL: Chicken teriyaki – bowl or taco, water.
- Little Dipper/Big Woods Concessions, Northville: Cotton candy, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken, beef and pulled pork super nachos, dessert bars, pop, water.
- FR Greek Cuisine, Lawton, OK: Gyros – lamb, chicken, pork, veggie, Greek salad.
- Boki Gelato – Sioux Falls: Paella plate or wrap (Italian and Mediterranean dish with rice, chicken or beer and veggies.
- Boki Gelato – Sioux Falls: Gelato/ice cream.
- Wild Bill’s Olde Fashion Soda, Carlisle, IA: Fountain soda flavors: root beer, diet root beer, vanilla, black cheery, orange, sarsaparilla, birch. Stainless steel mugs and straws.